When it comes to making Mod Podge crafts, there really is a lot of things that you can do. I could list everything but really, I would run out of space in this article and it would never get you closer to where you want to be – creating your own Mod Podge crafts.
For that reason, I strongly recommend that you read the book (book name) for some wonderful ideas on Mod Podge crafts. And to get you started, let’s run through a very easy craft that is perfect for anyone just starting out in Mod Podge – your own monogrammed drink coasters.
What you Need:
- Glossy Outdoor Mod Podge
- Spray Craft Glue
- Monogrammed Paper Napkins
- 4×4 tiles
- Outdoor Mod Podge
- Foam paint brush
- Fine-Medium Grit Sand Paper
- Cut the felt into 3 ¾ inch squares. Set aside.
- Take the napkin and unfold it.
- Carefully remove the layers of paper from the napkin until you are left with only the top printed layer.
- Take one of the tiles and sand it slightly to remove any bumps from the surface. It is better if you choose a smooth bathroom tile so you can skip this stage.
- Dip the foam paint brush into the mod podge and apply a medium layer over the entire surface of the tile. You just want to do the top and sides but not the bottom of the tile.
- Lay the napkin carefully onto the tile and center it until you have the desired look. You can have napkin hanging over the sides and I suggest that you don’t worry about cutting the napkin down to the tile size yet.
- Once you do, press the napkin into the mod podge. Make sure you run your finger over the edges of the tile as well to make it look the best.
- Set aside and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
- When it is dry, carefully rip the excess napkin off of the tile.
- Sand the edges of the tile so it is smooth, be careful not to rip the napkin.
- Apply a thin layer of glossy mod podge to the top of the napkin. You can also use a lacquer if you prefer.
- Allow it to dry completely; this usually takes about an hour.
- Apply a second thin layer of glossy mod podge on top of the first layer. Again, allow it to dry completely.
- Continue to do this until you have minimum of 5 layers of sealant on the tile. The more layers you have, the more durable your coasters will be.
- Once the layers have been added and they are completely dry, turn over the tiles and spray them with the craft glue onto the back of the tile.
- Place the felt onto the tile and press down.
- Allow it to glue completely before you use the coaster.